Sunday, January 27, 2008

Remembering President Gordon B. Hinckley


hinckley0016.jpg


A friend sent me this picture, and I thought it was fitting with this entry so I added it in!

I received a text while playing games at my brother's house tonight saying that President Hinckley had passed away. At first I just read the text, and than I realized what it meant. We checked KSL.com to see the update and it was true. We called our parents and MA called hers. How quickly the news is spread!

As I've been reading the latest posting and contemplating all the upcoming changes, I've been thinking about the impact President Hinckley has made on so many lives, among those is mine. I remember listening to him a few different times at the conference center for firesides, general conference, and the RS conference. I loved watching him walk in and wave his handkerchief while smiling at all of us, or waving with his cane. He was always so optimistic about life.

The other day I was talking with my Bishop and he reminded me of a quote by President Hinckley. It goes something like this: "You can't change the past, and you can't predict the future, so learn to enjoy the present." I sometimes have a hard time remembering that little phrase but it is so true. President Hinckley always had a great way of putting things in better terms and understandings. I love his theme of "Stand A Little Taller" because it is something that all of us can do. Each day try just a little harder to be better, try a little harder to live up to what you believe in, try to be a little more kind, try to serve others, etc. I love that because it is something I am capable of doing. I tend to get overwhelmed easily and being reminded to take a step back, breath, and relax helps me to accomplish one thing at a time. Some days it seems like there is just too much going on in life, but knowing that taking one step or one day at a time helps me to focus and enjoy what is most important. There are always going to be demands in life with time, money, friendships, callings, work/school and many more things. Remember to enjoy the present!

I love President Hinckley and I know that he is having a great reunion with those he loves on the other side of the veil. What a glorious place to be!

1 comment:

  1. yes, indeed. we were surprised by the call that mom gave to us. I think we can do more to stand a little taller and try a little harder to do what we know we need to do. hope that all is well.

    ReplyDelete