Thursday, July 12, 2007

On the downhill for summer quarter...

 It is official! No, I am not getting married. I am on the downward slope of my first quarter. I can’t believe that mid-terms are over (thankfully) and finals approaching too soon. I have two more weeks of lecture and then finals. I hope that I retain some of the vast amount of information I am trying to absorb within this short time frame. I have only had one break down…thanks for listening mom. And I am feeling way more optimistic these days. The information is starting to piece together. I was feeling so good about things that I took the whole night off of studying. I got my hair cut and went to institute. Best part: the lesson was on continuing your education; yet, keeping a balance in all areas of life. Good thing I made it out for one night. I socialized, was spiritually fed, and got away from “Bill” for a night. The highlight of my night was seeing old friends, especially ex-bfs (hate that I still get flustered), and then some awkward moments with guys that our “dates went bad.” Gotta love the YSA of Mesa even if it is a small circle of friends I have accumulated - someone always knows someone I know - good and bad.

Encompassing all the awkward moments with the shear joy of socialization, my night turned out quick delightful. I am glad I was able to enjoy learning from the Spirit while in the company of some amazing people. I truly am blessed and need to remember that a little more often. There is much to enjoy in life while keeping the destination in mind!

Last night I did go to dinner with my old roommates. That was fabulous catching up with them and feeling like a normal person for a moment. Only part of the time was I worrying about how much valuable time I was using freely, instead of studying. I knew there was going to be a quiz in at least one of my classes. So I jetted from my friends much earlier than I would have liked, and headed home to review the endocrine system and GI tract. Good thing because we sure had a quiz!

I find it fascinating how the body is so complex and still works so smoothly. It baffles my mind how intricate our body is even within the smallest details. We have been learning about the GI tract, the different components within that system, and the organs that work from outside the system to help it function properly. Not only is it phenomenal that there are different organs working together to accomplish one set goal among there individual functions, but there are numerous things happening within each organ. The stomach, for example, is degrading proteins with specific enzymes, while producing HCl and intrinsic factor from the parietal cells, and also secreting gastrin from the chief cells, during which tone is maintained to move the food into the small intestine. Where in turn, there are more gastric juices secreted from the pancreas into the duodenum to slow the process of tone to allow for optimal absorption of nutrients. Again, I find it amazing that the villi contain specialized cells that help in sustaining a homeostatic balance through know what to absorb and having the required ions or electrolytes present for that absorption to take place.  This is all occuring to help with the propulsion of food through the motility, secretion, digestion, and absorption that happens within this system.  Wow!  These are just a few of the many concepts that I am learning about along with how to apply these notions on a symptomatic patient in the clinical setting. Granted, most days it is overwhelming the volume of knowledge we are to grasp on to, but absolutely interesting. I love making a connection from one small concept to the large scheme of how the body is controlled and functions. Our creation is divine!

2 comments: