Friday, May 23, 2008

Dad


When we were young... (Dad, Mom, Sarah, Phillip)


Where to begin? My dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this past January. What a shock to us all! The next few months flew by with many phones calls and a couple of visits home. Overall, dad was doing great. A little over to weeks ago he started having more severe stomach problems. A CT scan was obtained and the results showed a complete bowel blockage two Sunday's ago. This is not good news. After a long night of decision making (final exams were starting that week), Rachel and I both agreed we should go home. We were able to spend a few days with my dad in the hospital. He then decided that he would rather be at home, so arrangements were made and he got a ride home in the ambulance. The next few days run together, but I'm so grateful I made the decision to come home. There were many family members & friends that stopped by to express their love and concern about my parents. All of us kids were able to be home for one last special night with my dad. He passed away Friday May 16, 2008 in the morning. Over the next couple days the funeral arrangements were made and decisions about my mom were determined. There was a viewing the night before and I was amazed at the many lives my dad has touched. The memorial service the next day was wonderful. Many great stories were shared by my brother, Phil, and my uncle Earl, my dad's elder brother. The musical numbers were divine by uncle Stewart, a younger brother, and his daughter, Brianna, and John and Linda Larson. Other kind words were shared by the stake president, Brother Killpack, and Bishop Remp. I still feel like it's a dream, that my dad is off on a trip or busy at work, even though I was home through it all. I have been touched by the many emails, phone calls, and cards given by all! I have been deeply blessed by the spirit with peace and comfort. I'm so grateful for the time to be at home with my family. It has been nice to share stories and reminisce about my dad. I love you dad!


Dad and Mom



Fourwheeling in Richfield last August



Doing what he loved!



Parents Courtship



Family Photo

2 comments:

  1. sarah- i'm so sorry for your loss... your dad was a great man. i loved growing up with your family. i remember meeting you in star A when we first moved in. and seeing those pictures are so fun. you are in our prayers. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya girl! Keep me posted on photos for a painting if you decide you would like one. I am so sorry about the trials you've been facing. You know where to reach me if you ever just need to talk. Love ya, Stace

    ReplyDelete