Tuesday, May 11, 2010

30 day gluten/dairy free challenge

My sister-in-law, Mary Ann, has been reading a book on allergies.  She has determined all my "problems" are related to my eating habits.  I have been 'diagnosed' with Gluten/Dairy sensitivity.  What a bummer!  Because I love cookies, skookies, doughnuts, bagels, pasta, and breads.  The two main substances to my diet are wheat and milk.  It's going to be hard to cut those out of my diet. But I'm willing to give it try for my health.  I am determined to work on integrating new foods into my diet while I re-vamp this next month.  I am learning how to read my labels better, and realizing that I definitely don't get enough fruits/vegetables or protein in my diet.  This will be a good learning experience, I hope.

I am on day 3.  I am hungry. I looked though my shelves and not many food options for me.  Almost everything I own has some form of whey or wheat.  This morning I was in a rush, as usual.  I had read on my friend, Daina's, blog about substituting ingredients.  She is vegetarian.  Anyway, she added black beans to her brownies.  As I was making my smoothie this morning i though, "How can I get extra protein without all the extra effort?" An epiphany happened (aka black beans).  It wasn't too bad.  Definitely different, but I will probably do it again tomorrow.

My diet will now consist of fruits, veggies, eggs, chicken, nuts, rice, and potatoes.  I haven't given everything up. My one vice is Coca-cola.  I don't think it would be fair to be rid of all my goodies, at least, not yet.

If you have any good recipes...send them my way!

Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Ava's allergic to all dairy and eggs, so I've had to learn to make several items with substitutions. I'd love to share some with ya. Also, try the health food stores. They have a lot of really good boxed dinners/cookies/sweets that are allergen-free. It's not the real thing, but surprisingly good. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this sounds hard! But way to be. I think you really will notice some differences. I have read a lot about this topic- I am sure the same things you have read that talked you in to trying this. I hope it goes well and all your problems are solved!

    And there are lots of substitutes for all the wheat things you love. Sprouts of whole foods would have tons. Treats, and regular stuff.

    And I laughed out loud at the black bean smoothie! Wow. I have put edamame in a smoothie or tofu but never black beans! I guess it is true they have no flavor really so way to go! I will have to try that soon. Totally awesome. See you manana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck - I hope it helps to make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my! i hope you see a difference or i will feel bad for subjecting you to torture:) sorry in advance if that is the case. as for some tips...we eat a lot of chips and salsa, corn tortillas, beans and rice. skag chili is gluten free, i usually add an extra can of beans and tomatoes to it. asian food is usually good for eating out. trader joe's has a ton of gluten free stuff...and the best rice pasta that i have tried. the others are gross. rice milk on cereal (corn chex, etc.) And betty crocker even has a gluten free brownie mix in the baking section. walmart also has a lot of gf mixes. did you try taking the fish oil or the enzymes too?

    p.s. i know you are trying to be healthier, but marlene knows about some fantastic gf doughnuts in the freezer section of health food stores. i love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. they say you go through a "withdrawal" and it gets worse before it gets better. who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so good to try this diet. I bet it will help you feel better. When you listed what your diet will consit of, it seems so limited--I'm sorry. I love the black bean shake! It sounds like something weird I would do.

    I hope things are going well for you. You'll have to fill me in on what you've been up to.

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete