Friday, April 18, 2008

A day in the life of a medical examiner.

The door closes pushing the early morning warm air up behind and around me. My classmates and I briskly walk up to the front desk and inquire about meeting with Dr. Fischeone. The receptionist asks the reason for the visit. She hands each of us a waiver form to read over and we sign in while she looks over our driver's license and school badges. We anxiously wait in the lobby for a few minutes viewing the old city photographs hanging on the back wall. I venture over to the glass case standing next to the far wall and look over the numerous bullets laying still. I think to myself: "I wonder who shot these bullets and why they are just laying out, as if at an exhibit?" I notice the wooden doors in the far back open, and a blonde lady gestures for us to gather around. We file through the door and into the elevator. The lady pushes the button for the lower floor, and down we go. We come out and on the left of us is a glass window. Looking through the window we see people moving around and getting things ready to start their day. Three doctors are on duty this morning. Each having two or three helping hands to start and finish their days work. Within seconds, the stories were unfolded and the autopsies began. It is a very detailed, graphic job that needs to be accomplished in the short morning hours. Searching for answers to determine the cause of death is an aspect of medicine needed in some cases. I went in with the perspective to learn more about medicine. This is a different approach to medicine. I understand the importance of it, but realized it is not for me. We spent most of the morning watching about ten autopsies. It is an experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment